Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Back to business as usual...?

Today is January, 11. Eleven days into the new year. That is 8 working days.

You know, I was just about to complain. Writing something like "we're just halfway through the second week at work, and already I am sleep-deprived. That's... not ideal" and so on.

But actually I don't really have any reason to be complaining, to be honest. I am having really great days at work at the moment. I am getting to speak tons of languages, get to structure and analyze things, and get to do a lot of thought-intensive work, which I find pretty stimulating creatively.

In addition, I somehow manage to be home earlier, or at least use my home-time in a more relaxing way than I used to. So it feels like I have more time. (hm, here's a thought - that might be in direct positive correlation with the fact that I stay up later, hence the sleep deprivation ;o))

Granted, I haven't done much goal-work in the past two days, but I think that's ok. I have more than 42 weekends left, plus VACATIONS :o) So no need to worry just yet.

Oh, and actually I did do some research for "writing my business plan" today! It turned out that a good friend of my lover's happens to be selling dental equipment online - very niche dental equipment :o) So I have found myself a life sample of how e-commerce can work. Well, according to his description, he currently thinks it's not (yet) working ideally, but I'm sure I can learn from that as well.

Not sure how familiar you guys are with e-commerce slang and internet marketing pass phrases. But I did, for a while, look more closely into dropshipping. Then I realized that US law is quite different from German law in some terms. I tend to get ideas and inspiration from American media / books / people, but frequently I stop dead in my tracks when realizing that some concepts are not as easily applicable to other markets. Which of course is an excuse, I am shamely aware. (Shamely aware? Is that even a word?!) Well, I am ashamed to admit. That's what I wanted to be saying. Moving on now.

I also went to a start-up counselling agency a couple of months back, whose folks warned me about the dire effect that German warranty laws can have on a small business. And this weekend, when speaking to a former (physical) business owner friend of mine, I heard the same sermon again. Which brings me to the conclusion that either German folks are willingly putting up with a lot more crap than other people do, or they are not aware of the differences - or, of course, haven't taken too close a look at what better ways to do business are out there. Well, that's what this whole business plan writing exercise is about - collecting ideas, information, facts & fiction, learning the rules (so I can break them properly ;o)), and - most important of all - figure out a business style that suits me and my lifestyle (desired lifestyle, that is - although I guess it will have to fit my current lifestyle first to be going anywhere besides nowhere...)

This is getting confusing, I'll stop now.

To leave you with a cheerful note, I have an announcement to make:
My onions are grabbing hold of their new habitat! The shoots are a bright green, have pulled themselves upright, and are now perkily finding their way into the sunlight :) Go, onions!

No comments:

Post a Comment